The ability to quickly deploy virtual desktops and apps to enable secure remote work is indispensable in our modern life. Today’s blog sheds light on the importance of migrating to Windows Virtual Desktop and how it delivers an ideal desktop virtualization experience.
First of all, Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) is a comprehensive, simple to manage desktop and application virtualization service that runs in the cloud. It delivers multi-session Windows 10, and is optimised for Office 365 ProPlus. Besides, it supports Remote Desktop Services (RDS) environments. You can deploy and scale all your Windows applications and desktops on Microsoft Azure in a matter of minutes, all with built-in security and compliance features.
For many businesses that have been considering desktop virtualization, Windows Virtual Desktop removes the fear of the unknown because their cloud solutions are so well known and used by millions. WVD is the only service delivering simplified management and a multi-session Windows 10 experience, including the ability to deploy and scale Windows desktops and apps on Azure in only minutes.
Why consider switching from physical desktops to virtual ones? Here are several advantages that small businesses can enjoy with a move to WVD.
How Can Migrating to Windows Virtual Desktop Help Your Business?
Access Workstations from Anywhere
Have you ever gone on a business trip and had to take a laptop with you wishing you could instead bring your main computer workstation with all your data, programs, and settings on it?
Using Windows Virtual Desktops solves that problem by allowing you to take your computer with you anywhere because it’s hosted in the cloud.
Your team can access their main workstation from any computer or mobile device and have all their necessary data and programs whenever they need them.
Support Business Continuity
After the recent disruption to the workforce caused by COVID-19, we have seen business continuity become a top priority for many companies. That’s where Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) comes in.
With WVD, desktops are hosted in a virtual environment, powered by Azure. You can access your full Windows operating system through Azure from any PC or mobile device. Virtually hosting your desktop offers you increased protection, due to the high level of security. It also gives you numerous benefits for business continuity, such as:
1. Full Desktop Virtualisation without Gateway Servers
With an Azure subscription, your users can gain access to a virtual desktop without the use of gateway servers. By eliminating additional servers, you reduce your overall virtual app and desktop running costs.
2. Access from any device
Users can connect to their Windows Virtual Desktops through a variety of devices. They can access their workspace at any time, and from the device of their choice, which boosts productivity.
Keeping your files on a physical device increases security concerns because your digital assets exist on several computers. If someone steals or hacks your computers, or they crash, you risk significant data loss. However, with WVD, your data is secure in your Azure virtual environment. So, even if your computer does get stolen or suffers significant damage, your data is still safe.
4. Quick Deployment of new Desktops
You can quickly deploy WVD to new team members. With physical devices, you would have to go through the effort of ‘cleaning’ the computer of a former employee. However, with WVD, this is not necessary as your employee automatically receives a new desktop environment with all of the apps they require. You can save WVD configurations for each department in your organisation. These configurations have all the suitable applications needed for each department. So, if there is a new user, all you need to do is deploy that specific configuration for them.
5. Lower Hardware Costs
When you have multiple computers to buy for your office and they all need a certain amount of storage and processing power, it can get quite expensive.
With WVD, all your storage and processing needs are taken care of by the Azure cloud environment, so the actual hardware you’re using to access the desktop can have limited specifications since it’s being used for access only. This means your overall computer hardware costs are less.
6. Save Time on PC Administration
When it comes time to deploy new software or provision a computer to a new employee, using virtual desktops makes administration much easier and less time-consuming because it can all be handled from a single administrative console.
Just consider the act of changing a computer between a former and new employee:
• Old Way: A former employee’s computer has to be backed up and then all data deleted. Programs have to be added according to their job description, and new email, etc. set up for the new user. This process can take several hours or more than a day.
• With WVD: When an employee leaves, their data can be transferred to another user and their account deleted. You can have virtual desktop setups saved by department so a new user would get a new virtual desktop that’s setup and ready to go in just minutes.
7. Improved Security
When data is being stored on virtual desktops, that data is kept in a single secure place that you can access, rather than spread across multiple physical devices.
Deploying companywide security policies across all WVDs is simple and you can ensure consistency with things like security patches and updates being applied as they should.
Microsoft makes security a priority for their cloud services in a number of ways, including:
• They invest over USD 1 billion annually on cybersecurity R&D
• They have more than 3,500 security experts dedicated to their platform security
• Microsoft Azure has more compliance certifications than any other cloud provider
8. A Bunch of Amazing Features
Running Windows on Azure generates the following benefits:
• Individual and personalised ownership of your desktop.
• A diagnostic tool to troubleshoot different errors.
• Manage the desktop and Azure instead of managing machines.
• Set up multiple tabs on one screen.
• Use Office 365 ProPlus with total optimisation.
• Visualise applications and what is on the desktop simultaneously.
• Compatibility with Windows 10, Windows Server, Windows 7 desktop through a single management experience.
• Set a flexible and optimised environment on the desktop.
• Create a host pool and run as many users on it as possible; this will assist with running your workload effectively because you can communicate with all members in one place.
• Upload images and content directly from the Azure Gallery.
• Economical multi-session resources. If you have advanced Windows 10 for enterprise, you can reduce the number of virtual machines and still provide quality work.
• Even with a single account, you can manage a host pool for multitasking.
• With host pools, make groups to accomplish tasks while reducing the number of images.
• Use data and diagnostics to manage and troubleshoot errors.
• Connect several users to the virtual desktop with the Windows Virtual Desktop.
The only requirements for Windows Virtual Desktop are an Azure Active Directory, a Windows active server directory and an Azure subscription domain.
Let Ctelecoms Help You Upgrade to Windows Virtual Desktop
A migration from physical workstations to virtual desktops can be faster and easier than you may think. Our expert team can help your business make the transition to WVD to improve your operations and reap the cost-saving benefits. Contact us today
for a free virtual desktop consultation.